Should new wiper blades be perfect?

I've just bought new wiper blades for my Avensis as the old ones were starting to streak and smear badly with the recent rain. I got Bosch ones from Halfords. Although the downstroke on the wipers completely clears the screen of water, the upstoke on the driver side leaves a very slight smear near the middle third of the wiper. The smear clears on its own in a second or two but is noticeable. I suppose this could be dirt on the screen but I've tried cleaning it (not with glass cutter though which I may try next). Should new wipers produce perfectly clean wiping, or am I just expecting too much?

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
Kooky45

In message , Kooky45 writes

This was discussed here a while ago and the conclusion was that Bosch blades are pretty poor these days and not as they once were. I'd take them back.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I used to swear by Bosch blades, but perhaps now I will look elsewhere. Curiously, the hefty manual for my latest car recommends fitting just new rubber blades, cut to size, as opposed to "you must buy grossly overpriced genuine complete xxx replacements from your local xxx dealer".

Reply to
John Laird

Make sure the screen is completely clean and that the blade angle is OK too.

Reply to
Alan

Although your new blades may not be perfect, they should be. I think it's far more likely that you have a windscreen problem and it needs a good clean. I use Holt's Instant Traffic Film Remover that you spray on and wipe off with the wipers. It's great and gets rid of all the smear-causing stuff straight away with no effort.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

But where on earth do I buy such things? I spent 2 hours wandering round the net yesterday trygin to find someone who would sell me a length of wiper rubber rather than whole blade+mechansim. I can find (a few) people who sell short pairs of rubbers but I have an expert van and need one very long (70cm/27") and one normal (51cm). The long blades are hard to come by and it seemed to me that buying a 3m length of rubber would keep me in blades for a while and ought to be much cheaper than blister-packed blades. But I can't find such a thing.

Anyone got any ideas? Even a pair of 70cm rubbers would be fine. (about 6mm wide)

thanx

Reply to
wookey

That would be here - £2 each to you sir!

TimM

Well done that man! thank you kindly. I was sure they ought to exist somewhere. Now, let's see if they fit my wipers....

Reply to
wookey