Radio code help needed!

Problem with my Mk 3 Astra radio: code is blocked. Thanks to the wonderful Google and this equally wonderful group, I found this:

Date: 1998/06/26 >From: Andy Fagan ( snipped-for-privacy@m56cars.u-net.com) > >The '6' indicates you only have 6 attempts left. When you switch on if >the display says 'safe' it means you are locked out for period of time >which varies depending on how many times the code has been entered >incorrectly. Leave it powered up until it displays 'DISPLAY' then >press *and hold* the 'as' button until the display changes to 'code' . >It will then change to '6' ---- which will allow you to enter the code >using the ststion pre set buttons. When you have the correct code >displayed, press *and hold* the 'AS' button until it bleeps and comes >on.

OK -- I knew 30% of that, and Andy's info gave me another 65% ... what I **don't** now know is how long I have to wait for a SAFE display to change to "DISPLAY", as per above. I have reached "7 SAFE", which means I have 7 attempts left.

But when I leave the radio switched on (car keys out), it switches itself off after one hour ... without ever offering an opportunity to change the code. Does anyone know how long I have to wait? Presumably if I leave the ignition ON, and the radio ON, then it won't switch off ... but I'll have to do that while it's in the garage at home!

[I got to this stage because (a) I had the temerity to change the heater control bulbs in the console (another story) and (b) I misread my owner's manual, and put in the car's 4-digit security code(?) instead of the radio security code ... having now seen my mistake, I am at the stage described above.]

Best wishes all John

Reply to
John Law

You will definitely have to have the ignition on at the same time as the radio.

You will need both on for the delay period and when you are entering the code.

Reply to
Alan

These are my standard code entering instructions.

  1. Turn the stereo off.
  2. Turn off the ignition
  3. Turn the ignition back on (dash warning lights on)
  4. Hold down the AS button on the stereo
  5. Turn the stereo on (whilst still holding down AS button)
  6. Release the AS button once 4 dashes appear on the display
  7. Now enter code (if code = 5678. Press preset button 1 five times, button
2 six times etc. If you go past you can go round again by pressing the preset button repeatedly
  1. Once all 4 numbers are correct hold down the AS button for 3 - 5 seconds
  2. The stereo should now be OK!

If you are still having problems please email me again.

Alan Steele

snipped-for-privacy@steeles.co.uk

The information in this email is intended for the personal use of the recipient only and must not be published or reused in any form. If you receive this email in error please advise the sender by replying to it and delete the message unread. Internet communications are not secure and therefore Steeles of Worthing do not accept any responsibility for the contents of or the accuracy of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. H.D.Steele & Son (Teville) Ltd. Registered in England number

405987.
Reply to
Alan

Ah - thanks Alan. That's another detail then. All I need to know now is how long I have to wait for "SAFE" to go off, when you've descended, as I have, to having only 7 gos left ("7 SAFE"). Obviously I can't do this in the car park then!

Thanks John

Reply to
John Law

On my Vauxhall radio, the time doubles each time you enter an incorrect code.

Reply to
DP

For those interested, I/we/you have done it. Am I thick or what: I had understood the previous instructions (scattered through this thread) to mean that you have to wait 'x' hours with the radio on, then when the display changes to "Display", *then* do the AS button trick.

So last night I had the radio on with the ignition switched on for 4 hours: still "SAFE" after 4 hours.

Finally - idiot - it dawned on me that you have to have the ignition on, press the AS button in and hold, switch the radio on, wait for "7 SAFE" in my case) to appear, **THEN** wait for 'x' hours. Yes, I know, it's obvious isn't it.

I was all set to wait 4 hours or so today, having locked the ignition key in the car ... but in fact the display changed to "7----" after just

10 minutes of driving into work.

To remind you: I got to this state because the Owner's Car Data card says "Security Code - 3973" on line 3, and I rushed off thinking that was the radio code; it wasn't -- as I later discovered, the radio code is on about line 9 of the card.

As with everything: it's so bloody easy, once you know how to do it!

Cheers folks John

Reply to
John Law

Well done. I've heard a few times you can sort out the problem by putting the radio in the freezer. Is this the bulls**t that it sounds?

Reply to
DP

I noticed that in the Google search I did -- consensus seemed to be that it might work on the code gubbins ... but it would definitely f**k up a few other things (like your LCD display) in the radio!

Reply to
John