Simple Brake Bleeding question

I'm due to change the brake fluid on my Punto. Reading the Haynes manual, it gives a strong warning about ABS models. If the fluid is drained from the hydraulic modulator, the unit will become unservicable. Sounds expensive.

Haynes recommend using a pressurised bleeding kit on ABS models. From the description, it sounds like you attach a pressurised fluid filled container to the master cylinder reservoir. When you unscrew the bleed nuts, the old fluid is pushed through and immediately replaced/topped up.

Most of the kits I've seen, from what I can work out at least, seem to create a vacuum at the bleed nut and therefore pull the fluid. Is this likely to drain the hydraulic modulator or to be less specific damage the system at all? Any recommendations on a good kit?

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

With ABS, you want to avoid getting any air in the ABS unit. It's not a major problem, but it does mean the brakes have to be re-bled using diagnostic kit to actuate the ABS unit.

Provided you don't let any air enter the brake system, you can use a vacuum bleeder, but personally I'd recommend something like a Gunson Easybleed, as it'll keep the reservoir topped up.

Reply to
moray

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look around on the web for one.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Yup.

Surely the most common and low priced is the Gunson Easybleed? It uses pressure from your spare tyre to push through the fluid. Works very well, but follow the instructions and keep the pressure low which means partially deflating the spare. Also make *very* sure the cap provided is a good fit on the master cylinder and you don't cross thread it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Purchased a "Gunson Eezibleed", the spelling of the EasyBleed made the first few Google searches a little fruitless. I was beginning to think it was a relatively unheard of tool.

eBay for £14.50 inc postage. Not too bad.

Thanks for the tip

Tim

Reply to
Tim