Timing belt

Does anyone out there know when the timing belt is due for replacement on a vw golf tdi 90 bhp mk 4 its an August 2000 model.The non vw garage I normally use is saying 70k miles but I phoned my local vw dealer and they are saying it should be replaced at 60k along with the timing belt tensioner.The garage I usually use are saying the tensioner does not need replacing only the belt.Who is right ??.Help greatly received.

Reply to
Gregs

Check in the service book you've got, it should list what needs doing at each service interval.

I would be more inclined to believe the VW dealer on this one though, as they know more about your specific model - to be sure ring a different VW dealer and see what they say....

Reply to
Johnny

It always used to be 60k on the TDI. I would strongly suggest you have the tensioner and idlers changed at the same time as failure of one of these throwing the belt off will bugger the engine.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

IIRC correctly it's 60K. Change the tensioner, they're only £30 & 1 bolt, almost no extra labour charge & they have a habit of seizing.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If the local dealer (I presume you mean VW) says 60k I would believe them, it might be an idea to ring up again! ( as different customer)

I know with the NEW fiesta's - ford are giving 100K before changes. My point being these belts are now becoming more reliable. But remember a broken belt can cause you more than an headache. Bill

Reply to
bill

Its not belts are more reliable- its more the fact that valve gear is getting lighter and presents less load on the belt.