Upper fanbelt adjustment on 1.6TD VW camper

Bit too much play (over an inch either way) on top belt on our

86 1.6TD VW Camper, I know its simple stuff but like most things there is a right way and a wrong way, so anyone care to advise on correct adjustment and how to please.

ta

J Le Second

Reply to
J A Sims

I am surprised it has a belt driven fan. mostly belt adjustment is by slackening the alternator mounts and moving the alternator a little and rechecking.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Ta, its got two belts, I really need to work out what they do :-))

J Le Second

Reply to
J A Sims

"MrCheerful" wrote in news:Q44pi.7478$% snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

What are you doing over here Mr Cheerful? You are needed in URCM :-) I had an old Vdub camper with a petrol engine. I can only imagine one belt is for the alternator and the other for the vacuum pump on the diesel engine. But I don't know what engine the TD uses.

Reply to
Stuart G Gray

IIRC one is for the alternator and one is for the water pump, my old 1.6 diesel audi (same engine) 1990 vintage had three, nearest the engine was for the water pump, then the alternator then the power steering, I don't think yours has the power steering belt

You can guess which one failed! needed recovered home then had to take the other belts off to replace it!!

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

on vehicles designed for use in harsh areas they put on a spare inner belt which is cable tied out of the way ready to be slipped on when needed, so you don't have to take off all the others at the side of the road

Reply to
MrCheerful

That makes a lot of sense as the front engine mount goes through the middle of them all/some of them

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes