Worn tyre edge.

My 740 diesel estate volvo had the nearside track control joint replaced a year ago.I now notice wear to the extreme outside edge of the tyre.It is as if the main tread has only light contact and the edge has full contact. Is this simply a matter of tracking or is it the inevitable result of having a heavy car with power steering living in a cul de sac!! ( Constant 3 point turns etc). If tracking is at fault would this mean shortening the rod connection or lenthening it to compensate.I know i could go to kwik fit and pay £25 + vat for him to pronounce and "fix" but I have found out in the past you never know if its been done right until 6 months down the line you see more wear and of course the fitter then disclaims responsibility. Cheers

Reply to
Capt T

It's possible on the Volvo to check the tracking the old fashioned way; cut a piece of rigid plastic conduit, or something similar, to fit inbetween two marked points on the inner middle of tyre sidewall. The measured difference between when these points are lined up forwards of the hub, and level with it, and rearwards, will be the toe-in, the rear dimension should be greater than the front.

Doing this will indicate whether you do have a problem and whether you need to go to a tyre centre to get it checked and adjusted accurately.

I set mine in this manner after changing the trackrod ends, when I took it down to the tyre centre, "nothing to pay mate, checks are free, and yours is spot on"

Reply to
Steptoe

Like he said. Although, I live in a cul-de-sac and I found my nearside front wore slightly quicker on all my volvos, cos I could do the turns on full lock. Now I'm driving french crap that haven't got the lock, so I have to do a three point turn, I don't get this problem, but the car falls slowly apart around me anyway.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Best get it checked, but don't go to Kwik-Fit if you have no confidence in them. Most workshops will have a set of gauges, choose a good independent workshop.

Wear on the outside edge is a sign of toe-in, and under the circumstances of a new track control joint. But, It could be a sign of worn wishbone bushes or a knackered wheel-bearing.

-- R

These are always hard on tyre edges. Check the tracking with straight boards, tape measure etc. If it shows excess toe in then lengthen the track rod to decrease. If the steering wheel is offset then lengthen the appropriate side to reduce the steering wheel offset.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks for info

Does this mean I have to shorten the track road end to decrease toe in? Is it a matter of just a couple of turns to achieve that or is it not that sensitive? Thanks

Reply to
Capt T

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Capt T" saying something like:

If the track rod end is in front of the wheel line, you'd lengthen it to decrease toe-in. If it's behind the wheel line, you'd shorten it.

Try half a turn at a time.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

...and of course there are roundabouts.

One could take a car to have a free check, adjust it themselves then go to a different place for another free check etc. If there is any other suspension wear though you need to get that fixed first.

Reply to
adder1969