2000 Miata passenger window stalls

My 2000 Miata passenger (power) window is stalling about 3" to 4" down with increasing frequency.

When it works properly there is no sign of slowing, roughness or any problem as it goes all the way to the bottom. When it does stall it just comes to a stop with no real noise as a clue to what is going on. I have even tried trying to assist it with downward force from my hand before it reaches the stall point but it still stops at the same point.

Of course the day I had it to the dealer it worked correctly "about a hundred times" but did stall just once for them so they ordered a cable in case there is a snag on the cable. (I think it will turn out to be something else.)

I have looked on Miata.net and read a lot about cable problems etc. and have seen on tech bulletin that describes the exact symptoms but it is supposed to apply to the 92-94 models only.

Anyone else experience a similar thing with this model?

Dave

Reply to
junktin

There can be an area that binds a bit on the glass. The usual cure is to lubricate the track with a spray on lubricant, or take the door apart and find the binding area, then do what is necessary to cure the problem. Continued binding can cause such things as failure of the window motor or other parts of the mechanism. Miata net is one of the best places to look for information, as you have already found. It's even possible that the switch is heating up and not making contact.

Reply to
chuckk

Thanks for the reply and thoughts... I think I have to discount these suggestions though. If it was merely an area that binds due to friction I would think that when I apply downward force with my hand to assist the motor, it might travel at least a little farther. But it stops at the exact same point.

Also I would think bad switch contacts would show up as a stoppage at different points each time. If I run the window down about 2' and stop it there and then later try and run it down the rest of the way, it will still stop at the exact spot where it would have from the closed position. I doubt that a bad switch contact could produce such consistent results.

Of course while it is under warranty still it is the dealer's problem to figure out but I was hoping to be able to figure it out beforehand to save them some time because I spend more time observing it's behaviour.

Dave

chuckk wrote:

Reply to
junktin

If they (or you) pull the door pnl. off, you will see that the "drive cable" has come out of it's proper location and the "window guide" is getting hung-up on it. (You will find this occuring on many Miatas.) I repaire mine with a plastic cable tie-wrap to secure it to the door and out of the way of the window.

The window only will go down about 3 or 4 inches when this is the problem. (just my shot at the problem.)

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN