95 glove box cylinder

I would appreciate any tips on how to remove the cylinder/lock from the glove compartment latch.

The glove box latch was broken by a thief. A replacement glove box latch was easily obtain from Mazda ($15) and only requires three screws for installation (easily accessible from the inside of the glove box). However the new latch did not come with a cylinder/lock and I would like to move the old cylinder/lock to the new latch assembly.

I have removed the plastic cover from the front of the installed cylinder/lock as well as the white plastic that covers the rear of the assembly, but I am clueless about how to remove the cylinder itself. There appears to be a small metal tab on the back of the cylinder the is under the delicate cam that engages the lock. I am so close, but missing the final piece to this puzzle... Where do I go from here??

As always, your replies are much appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

FWIW, The trick to removing the cylinder from the glove compartment latch assembly was to push the brass tab on the rear of the cylinder into the center of the cylinder. It turns out that the brass tab is spring loaded and once retracted the cylinder falls out the front of the latch assembly. Be careful as to not lose the tiny little spring and the brass tab when it falls out.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

"Christopher Muto" wrote in news:kw%_d.12345$UV2.11118@trnddc04:

I should point out that the spring will achieve escape velocity and, on re-entry, will locate it's self somewhere that you will NEVER EVER find it! Please do not ask me how I know this. :-(

BTW, a locksmith will have a replacement spring, if you explain why you need one he'll probably give you one free if he can stop laughing long enough.... again, do not ask how I know this, either. Thank you.

Reply to
XS11E

You paint a hilarious picture sir!...(oh, my ribs!)

Reply to
Gord Beaman