Idle Drop Problem when A/C comes on

Just within the last week or so the idle speed on on '92 drops very, very low just short of stalling when the A/C clutch engages. Prior to this behavior I experienced a small drop in RPM when the A/C clutch engaged but nothing like the size of the drop I get now. I've had the car for over ten years and this is not the drop I've always gotten in the past.

Any suggestions.

Denny '92 Sunburst '02 Vivid Yellow

Reply to
Miata92-Yellow

Hi I was having same problem. Here is what I think fixed it. There is a unit called the ISC valve.....it has an electrical connection at the bottom of the throttle body to the right hand side of the ISC valve. It can be tested for ohms. Ohms should read between 11 adn 14 ohms.

Mine was dead. I got another online at Mazmart.com for about $120 (used) and viola, the rpms now go back up when AC is running.

~Cissy My '90 Mazda Miata I love PC adventure games

Reply to
Expmiata

My RPM comes back up to a good level. My concern is the much greater drop in RPM, almost to the point of stalling, before it returns to the higher normal level with the A/C engaged.

Will check your suggestion as possible cause.

Thanks, Denny

Expmiata wrote:

Reply to
Miata92-Yellow

ok, good luck. Perhaps I misunderstood the problem. ~Cissy My '90 Mazda Miata I love PC adventure games

Reply to
Expmiata

The IAC might be the issue, but if the idle recovers, the IAC is probably working. It sounds like the idle air bleed screw setting might be improper, perhaps a re-adjustment of the idle might fix this?

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers