NB howl!

Dear MX-5 aficionados,

I just bought my second MX-5 a couple of weeks ago: this time a Grace Green1996 NB with 90.000 miles and a full year of warranty that I bought from a Mazda dealer here in Belgium.

One problem: It howls a little though/ the howl increases with speed and it becomes even more apparent when I brake or slow down without braking. I am not sure what it is, it might be the rear axle (although the oil level is good on that one) or something else (wheel bearings?).

Anyone ever experienced anything like it or knows of such a problem? Is it normal for the mileage?

Since it is under warranty I want it fixed pronto, but I know how car-dealers can be a pain, so I want to be in the know before I go there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Vincent (White 1992 NA, Green 1996 NB ... and a rather Dull Green 2003 Audi A4)

PS: Something else I noticed and surprises me: whereas with the NA the oil pressure gauge would actually move depending on the load the engine/engine temperature is under, the one on the NB seames to be stuck somewhere in the middle regardless of what the engine load is: anyone an idea why this might be the case?

Reply to
Vincent van Lingen

Did NB's come out early in Europe? In the US, 98 was the first year for NB's.

Mazda stopped putting real oil pressure guages in Miatas sometime around around '95. It's all at

Grant Edwards

Grace

engine/engine

Unless you have some kind of special car, a '96 is not an NB. Your '92 has a 1.6 motor whereas the '96 has a 1.8. The NB was the model with exposed headlights; they did not start until 1998.

As for the howling, you said it becomes more apparent when you slow down without braking. This makes me think it has something to do with the rear end or transmission.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

My guess; it's the rear Differential 'Howling' is always the Diff. You need a rebuild or a trip to the boneyard. One good thing - if it's not a Torsen, you could change over.

Steve McMahon Green JRSC '00LS

Reply to
McMahon

Since Mazda dealers got fed up with owners worrying about their oil pressure suddenly changing, in 1995 Mazda put in a fake gauge. You can retrofit the true gauge rather easily; see miata.net

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Umm... you mean 99 Was the first year for NB's... There was no US 98.

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Right. They came out in '98, though didn't they?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Only in the U.S., because of the strange way we designate model years. IIRC the original question was about a 1998 European MX-5.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

There was no 1997 MX5 .

Reply to
Col;

Funny my STO thinks it's a 97. I think, in the US anyway, there wasn't a 98.

"J R"

Reply to
Ruxoid

hehhe wath happend to the withe one you bought in ekeren ? I remember that we had interest in the same car ? did you drive it much, still getting service from Gar Moons ?

Tommy

Reply to
dingo

The US has this funny thing about "model year". Some of the other countries consider the year of build as the model year. Hence, a 99 US model may be a

98 model in another country. Since my US 99 was built in Dec 98, itfalls into the mentioned category..
Reply to
chuckk