New Tires

I have an '03 that came with Bridgstone Touranza EA30s in 205/45-R16 size. I have not been too impressed with them. Besides, at 18,000 miles, they are already worn to the warning bars and I'm not a hard driver (I wonder if the dealer put on used tires before I picked up the car)!

The car is a daily driver in Florida. I don't need a super sticky tire - something that would last at least 25-30,000 miles would be fine.

I have heard several people recommend Toyo Proxes T1S tires, but they sell for $840 locally and the Tire Rack doesn't list them in my size. I'm looking at the Dunlop SP FM901, the Kumo Ecsta Supra 712, or the Yokohama AVS ES100, all priced between $80 and $90. I would appreciate any feedback about them or other tire suggestions.

Reply to
Randy Maheux

I like Bridgestone and Michelin, have had terrible luck in the last few years with Dunlop on both new cars and replacement tires. I had the Dunlop SPs on my 92 and took them off with half the tread depth still there because they vibrated, rode hard, noisey, etc. I went back to Bridgestone and have been very happy.

Tom

92 Red

Randy Maheux wrote:

Reply to
Tom Howlin

Get them while you still can.

Reply to
Natman

It's pretty much agreed the T1S's are great, just at quite a price...... If you're not concerned about ultimate grip first, last and foremost, you're like me when I was last shopping for street tires on my miata. I wanted decent ride, good grip, good handling characteristics (transition and progressive breakaway), good treadwear rating, A traction and A temperature and A GOOD PRICE (I've got 5 other vehicles to keep up with!). I bought Bridgestone 'Eager' series tires and other than having to say and type that silly name, I haven't regretted it at all! They are very impressive and I think they were $60 to $65 a piece or there-abouts.

I've heard allot of good things about the Yoko's, but there's plenty to read up on if you go to miata.net product reviews and / or message boards.

Good luck, Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

If you live in the Tampa Bay area, call George's Discount Tires (Clearwater: 727-797-6330, New Port Richey: 727-847-1701), who supplied me with four of the 195-55-14 T1-Ses for about $475, including mounting, balancing, etc. and also sales tax. That's still higher than that onlinetires.com price of $82.00 per tire (but not mounted & balanced, and no sales tax or shipping). However, they had them in stock, and I was back on the road two hours after I showed up at their shop.

When I checked the air pressure in my new tires, it was something ridiculous like 42 PSI. But I don't want to pick on George's Discount, because for some reason, _every time_ I've ever gotten new tires, no matter where, the guys who put them on overinflated them by at least 10 PSI.

Once I dropped the tire pressure to 29 PSI, I really liked my new skids! There are a few fun tight corners on my daily commute that I know pretty well. After I replaced my old B.F. Goodrich tires with T1-Ses, in corners where before I'd have to ease off the gas and still slide a bit, with the T1-Ses I could go pedal-to-the-metal and it refused to slip a bit. And they showed even better improvement in performance in those Florida monsoons.

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

W. Kiernan

I'm sold on the T-1S, and onlinetires.com has your size for $109 each (Tire Rack does not sell Toyos at all). Dunno if you'll get 20k out of a set, but you might if you rotate them faithfully every at 3000-mile oil change. The Yokos are not quite as capable, but should last longer and are very good tires. The other two I would avoid.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I'll second both the Toyo's and the Yokohama's as excellent choices. It seems to me that the Toyo T-1S have a slight edge in the dry and the Yoko ES100's have a bit better rain traction. I didn't do any type of tests to verify this, it is just how they felt to me, a bit stickier in the dry on the Toyo's and a bit better traction and braking in the wet with the ES100's.

Pat red '91

Reply to
pws

Thanks all. I think I am going with the Yoko ES 100s.

When I checked with a local dealer today, he pushed both a Hancook K 106 and a Fuzion ZRi. The negative reports at the Tire Rack site steer me away from the Hancook, but the Fuzion got good reviews there. I wonder if $15 a tire is worth taking the chance? Any feedback?

Also, in poking about the web, I learned that the original Bridgestone Touranzas that came with my 03 SE have a treadwear rating of 170! The other tires discussed are rated between 200 and 280. I know you can't compare these numbers between brands, but they numbers do give a general idea. No wonder I only got 18,000 miles out of the Bridgestones! How unlike a manufacturer - what ever possessed Mazda....

Randy

Reply to
Randy Maheux

I have been looking at Kumho 711s. Anyone with any experience with these? I don't want ultra performance tires, just a good high performance tire. Tirerack seems to rate these pretty good.

Reply to
DBLZOOM

Probably not. I seriously doubt they'll be anywhere near the quality of the ES100s. Last time I was looking for tires, I stopped at a place and asked what they had in stock. The manager told me that the only thing they had was a set of Daytons, but that they were really good tires. I declined and he made the smartass comment "Not good enough for you?". I looked him square in the eye and told him "Not even close" as I walked out the door.

Local tire dealers generally have absolutely no idea which ones are good. I recently put new tires on my work vehicle and had a salesman tell me that the "Big O" house brand tires were the best they had--this from a store that stocked Michelin, BF Goodrich, Yokohama, etc. I inquired about the name-brand tires and was repeatedly pointed towards the house brand. I finally just walked out because it was clear that the salesman wasn't interested in selling me anything else.

18k miles? Sounds like an excuse to get some *real* rubber on there. I got almost 15k miles out of my Toyo T1-Ss and it was well worth the price.
Reply to
tooloud

pepper Italian seasoning, etc. Tomato gravy (see index) Fresh or at least freshly cooked spaghetti or other pasta

Mix the ground meats together in a large bowl, then mix each of the other ingredients. Make balls about the size of a baby?s fist (there should be one lying around for reference). Bake at 400°for about 25 minutes - or you could fry them in olive oil. Place the meatballs in the tomato gravy, and simmer for several hours. Serve on spaghetti. Accompany with green salad, garlic bread and red wine.

Newborn Parmesan

This classic Sicilian cuisine can easily be turned into Eggplant Parmesan If you are planning a vegetarian meal. Or you could just as well use veal - after all, you have to be careful - Sicilians are touchy about their young family members...

6 newborn or veal cutlets Tomato gravy (see index) 4 cups mozzarella, 1cup parmesan, 1cup romano Seasoned bread crumbs mixed with parmesan romano salt pepper oregano garlic powder chopped parsley Flour eggwash (eggs and milk) Peanut oil for frying.

Pound the cutlets. Dredge in flour, eggs, then the bread crumb mixture. Fry till golden brown in 350° peanut oil. In a baking pan, place a layer of gravy, then one of meat, gravy, and chee

Reply to
tooloud