NC MX-5 video

For those who want to waste a bit of time watching some MX-5 stuff.

No really fast driving, it is more discussing the Miata history and what is is all about than anything else, with some driving and excellent scenery thrown in.

Watching the guy break his own ghetto Miata wing is worth the time to click it. It also shows how well a 6'3", 240 pound guy fits in a NC, which is, from what I can see, not nearly as well as I fit in it. :-)

"The Smoking Tire stops by a Mazda meet at OCC then heads up to Bear Mountain for some testing in the twisties of the new MX5."

Pat

Reply to
pws

I'm an inch taller and 10lbs (+) heavier and I fit very nicely into an NA but not an NC although maybe now that the door cup holders are gone it might be better?

Nice video, thanks!

Reply to
XS11E

Maybe, sir Goliath. Get on down to the Mazda dealership and check out a brand new NC without the cupholders. :-)

I thought that some folks here might enjoy it. The guy hosting it is a former Corvette-head, maybe still a current one, but his car caught on fire.

That is one thing that I don't ever hear about Miatas doing, though mine came about as close as possible to catching fire that one time when the fuel line split and sprayed fuel all over super-hot engine parts.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Might fit but I'm probably going to be selling mine very soon, the left knee tells me I'm not going to shift much longer. I've enjoyed the car but I don't think I'd enjoy an automatic so I'll probably just live with the van and limit my motorsports fun to going to Walmart and running over old farts with my new ride.

XS11E

Man, don't even think about life with just the jazzy jazz and the vanny van ;-) If you haven't driven the MX5 with the paddle shifters, do not make up your mind yet! Here's the deal; I hear that it's one of the better ones out there, that it's quite good fun and even that the gearing is a bit taller resulting in a more relaxed rpm at highway speeds!

Not only that but there should be plentiful examples out there, reasonably priced. Above is referring to the NC of course but some people have even declared the old NB's auto, livable and since demand is not so high for used automatics, these (in my research) tend to sell a bit cheaper than the 5 and

6 speeds.

Check them out man!

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Gotta agree with Chris. If something happened to one or both of my legs at any age to keep me from driving a standard, I would switch to automatic, and still get the most fun/practical car possible, which even in automatic is still the Miata as the best bang for the buck, imo.

I have driven a couple of automatic Miatas, one with some horsepower boost. They were both fun. I reached for the shifter that wasn't there and stomped at the non-existent clutch pedal the whole time, but that would pass in time.

There are quite a few fun cars, generally larger and with more power to weight than a Miata, that I would choose automatic on anyway, including most of the expensive or even semi-expensive sedans out there.

I love manual shifting, but not all the time. I may be in a position soon to have an automatic Honda Accord with a 1 year old A/C system that blows freezing air, along with keeping my Miata.

In this case, I am glad that the Accord has an automatic. It will also be my heavy traffic car and it will be almost the only thing that I drive during the summer.

We do have our best top-down months coming up here in Central Texas, October through May, with one or two cold days in there somewhere. :-)

This was a brutal summer, and it's not quite over yet.......

Pat

Reply to
pws

Coolio!

Pat

Reply to
pws

I have, I can't see any difference in the fun level between the automatic Miata and any other automatic vehicle, it just does NOT do it for me.

I figure the Miata is just one more thing that time will force me to give up, along with my hair, my sex life, sleeping w/o getting up 4 - 5 times a night to pee and, most important of all, motorcycles.

I could give up all the other crap if I could just ride....

Reply to
XS11E

I have no idea the extent of your disability but what about the CanAm Spyder? 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, does 110mph and supports itself when you come to a stop. It even has a reverse gear! Have you checked it out? Here's a quick over view;

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

They're interesting but not for me. I think I'd prefer the Miata to a motorcycle wannabe, at least I have AC for the summer months!

My disability is arthritic degeneration of the lumbar spine and, to a lesser extent, the cervical spine added to arthritis in my hands, hips, knees and ankles which all combine to limit my standing to less than 5 minutes and my walking to about 1/2 block before it hurts too much to continue. It got really painful about 25 years ago and, as arthritis does, it's progressed since. I had surgery around 10 years back to relieve pressure on the spinal cord and sciatic nerves which helped but nothing has helped getting older, I guess that's not curable.

To be able to ride again would mean I'd somehow have to go back to my

60s or even earlier, AFAIK they can't do that yet. I've put in several calls to Mr. Peabody or his boy, Sherman, asking to use the WayBack Machine but I haven't heard from them.
Reply to
XS11E

Man, I feel for you. Hard for me to comprehend obviously. How about the paddle shifting Miata? They really have gotten good reviews. And, as far as being 'drivers' cars, Motor Trend just had a 'best driver's car' shootout and the test driver was a guy I respect very much. He's an ALMS driver, he has driven factory Porsche's, Mazda's and many others. He also writes for the SCCA magazine. Two things stand out; 1) the NC Miata finished 3rd in an amazing group of cars and 2) the winning car was the Cayman S which has the Porsche version of a manu-matic type of transmission. Of course it was a perfect transmission but, point being, he didn't feel it took away from the driving experience enough to knock this wonderful handling car out of the top spot. I'm with you, that I prefer to shift but I'd rather paddle shift than give up the pure joy our little roadsters provide us! No question about that!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Didn't like it at all, I'll just go Miataless. I really like the NA better than the later ones but I don't think I'd like an auto... sorta like having a girl friend who undresses herself, takes 1/2 the fun out of it!

Reply to
XS11E