190E Oil Pan Gasket

I'll be attaching the oil pan to the block this weekend. The factory manual makes no mention of using sealer with the gasket. The gasket when removed had a green sealer on the pan side only that was difficult to clean off.
What should I use on my parts? On one side or both sides of the gasket? Does this apply to the intake to head gasket also?
Thanks, Scott
Sealer is normally used on one side only... like from gasket to pan or gasket to valve cover but not in MB valve cover...
Nothing on intake manifold gasket.
I suspect someone tried to fix the oil pan.