22R Oil Pan gasket

After 240,000 plus mile on my '84 4x4 ExtraCab pickup I developed my first oil leak. Not sure if it is a rear seal or pan gasket. So from the process of elimination I will replace the pan gasket since this is far easier step to accomplish. Hopefully it is the pan, don't even want to think about yanking the transmission, transfer case and clutch off to get to the rear seal.

Questions:

  1. Should I use a gasket or should I just use RTV silicone to seal the pan?

  1. If RTV silicone, which is best.

  2. Or if replace with new gasket, should I use RTV silicone on it? At gasket-motor or gasket-pan interface?

While I have the pan off, is there anything I can check i.e., bearings, etc.

Any information is greatly appreciated!!!!

Nick

Reply to
Nick

I used the black Toyota FIPG (Form In Place Gasket) on my '85 oil pan. A plain RTV probably won't work as well, there is something called "Right Stuff" that is similar to what Toyota sells.

Reply to
Roger Brown

On an 86 I used a gasket, put RTV on both sides (I think I used the premium RTV), and it hasn't leaked after 8 years, but it was a pain as the pan couldn't be removed w/o dropping the axle, so I could only lower it and work around it. Plan on getting dirty. Slik

Reply to
slikrikd