1967 MB 230 4 door sedan

I am considering the purchase of a 1967 MB 230 4 door "finback" sedan. It has the 6 cylinder and automatic transmission, no a/c. seems to run okay, but I am leery of the automatic. Also I will want to add
a/c to it (I live in Texas). Anyone out there have any thoughts or comments about this car? Thanks, Jim
Jim If I had a garage to work in at home I would also consider something like that, but it would be the SL model. Perhaps you have a place in Texas you can get parts for it. When I worked in an independent MB repair shop in Nebraska are parts were shipped in by UPS from Calif because it is so difficult to find parts except from auto parts stores specializing in MB. I hope you are a mechanic or some one who wants to tinker with this car. If you like to turn wrenches allot this is a great car, because you will be doing allot of it. Add AC you say?! Pulling the dash on this vehicle will be a nightmare, where will the evaporator housing go under there, special brackets to hold the compressor on would be needed, new crank pulley with an extra channel to hold the compressor belt, best of all wiring it up, and running all the pluming needed. Your weekends will be busy if you take this project on. I have done this before by transporting A/C parts from one wrecked 1971 230 to another good 230, its not for the weak at hart. The trans is made by MB so again special parts are needed for everything.Your post brings back many memories. Hope this helps with your decision. Mike

Skip it and look for a 4 cylinder 200 series, single headlight fin car. Much more reliable, economical, most had 4 on the column (wonderful!). Find one with a sunroof and factory air and you will have a great ride. Something about those old hand-assembled fin cars is missing on the new ones (dare I say 'quality'?).