1986 190e minor accident, not temp is up

Hello again Mercedes people,

Yesterday, while reaching into the back seat of my 1986 190e to help my

2 year old handle an egg salad sandwich, my car rolled into the stopped car in front of me.

There is a slight bit of damage to my grill, and the hood is a hair bent, but otherwise the car appears perfect.

I noticed that during the rest of the day, the temp seemed to elevate above normal (usually 80c when driving or idling on a chilly day). On occasion in the past the temperature would go up to about 110c when I was stuck in traffic, but never otherwise.

I am having a hard time figuring out what might have happened is such a minor collision to cause this?

The car isn't leaking anything, so it's not a coolant level issue.

I have three theories, none of which I particularly like.

1) Somehow the collision loosened scale in the radiator which is limiting it's efficiency 2) Somehow the water pump was damaged. 3) Somehow the thermostat was damaged.

Now, none of these seem all that reasonable to me, but I need some explanation for this behavior?

Thanks for any ideas or trouble shooting possible theories?

Thanks in advance, Marty PS The car does not seem to overheat (as of yet) reaching 110c max.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I like this one:

4) It's been doing this for a long time, but you didn't pay attention before.

(I think I've been a victim of this myself)

X.

Reply to
Ximinez

None of the above. I suspect your AC is on and it is possible that the aux fan is not working as if it is jammed. So with AC on, the fan needs to come on but can't and therefore, the temperature rises.

Pull back out the grille since it is only a slight bend. Check your parking brake while you are at it too...

Reply to
Tiger

I second an AC problem. The first thing behind the grill is the aux fan, then the condenser for the AC, then the radiator. It's more likely AC related, than radiator or coolant related.

Reply to
DougS

Thanks for your thoughts, but I must confess to being compulsive about these kinds of things. I am sure the temps are higher after the impact. I am thinking I will try the thermostat first, since that is easiest, If that doesn't work I will try a flush and fill.

I am going to replace the grill also, but I don't think that's an issue functionally.

Tiger's theory about the fan being stuck is a good one, but it's not so either.

Besides, the temps increase to 110c even when I am cruising on the highway, so there should be more then enough airflow at that point...

Thanks for your ideas, Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Hi Again,

Finally got to it today, I replaced the thermostat with a new 79c unit, and that appears to have resolved the issue.

So apparently the impact of the collision somehow caused the thermostat to stick closed, even though there is no damage at all beyond the grill of the car,

Weird, but I am happy to have the temp staying where it should again so cheaply and easily.

Thanks for your help and ideas, Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Good job! Glad you resolved the problem. Thermostat is funny thing... lots of things can happen when alignment is not good.

Reply to
Tiger