1986 190e Power window shenanigans

Hello again!

My car is still purring along, but I have had an annoying issue for a long time, and seek your advise in trouble shooting it.

My left rear power window sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Also on one occasion it only moved down, but wouldn't go up. I include this just in case it's useful info.

Since I live in Seattle, WA USA it would be nice if I could roll the window up when I need to ;~)

I have already removed the door interior door panel, and I have cleaned and changed out the fuse.

Is there a method to the troubleshooting of this situation?

Thanks in advance for all your help and sage advice.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Easy fix... You need to remove the seitch from the console and take apart the swtch and clean all contacts.

If your switch feels less than solid,, then it is possible you got a broken hinge inside the switch.... with this problem, the performance is erratic. So while you have it apart... make sure there is no crack on that white long privot point.

If it is broken, you can buy the rear door single switch, and swap out that switch button.

Reply to
Tiger

OK,

But if it was the console switch, wouldn't the rear door switch still operate the window (it doesn't)?

I will proceed as you recommend.

Thanks, marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

No... it is not a simple wiring. I bought a junker 190E long ago and owner complained the same thing as you did... I took all the switches out and tested it on my car... same story/complaint until I cleaned it and replaced that broken rocker switch and everything is golden again.

Reply to
Tiger

Exchange the left switches with the right ones and you'll soon know if it's a switch problem. In my experience the problem can also be in the wiring or in the electric motor.

X.

Reply to
Ximinez

Front console left and right switches are not exchangeble... different pinout. Rear door switches are exchangeble

Reply to
Tiger

Ok, well cleaning the switch didn't do it.

Also, somehow the fuse blew. So now, I am guessing it's some kind of short either in the left rear door or motor.

I will attempt to chase this with a meter and see what I find.

Any other thoughts are welcome. Thanks, Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I'd suggest to investigate in the area where wires go from door to car body. Also, check correct grounding (negative contacts). A rusty ground contact creates unpredictable situations...

Reply to
Cordy

Recheck your switches... It is possible you didn't reassemble it correctly and stuck in on position.

Did new fuse blow?

Reply to
Tiger

OK,

It took almost a year to get to this, but I can now tell you that Cordy had the correct answer to my issue.

Eventually the window stopped working entirely, which cause me to hot wire the motor and close the window. This showed that the motor was AOK.

Now that it's spring time again, I wasn't looking forward to my kids (3.5 and 6.5) complaining about being hot and not being able to open the windows (yes, both of them eventually did this).

So, removing the door panel and the post interior trim exposes the wiring as it passes into the door. several of these wires where BROKEN outright (the insulation too).

I ran new wires through the accordion style boot and soldered these at both ends onto the solid (non flexing) wire, and voila! Windows that work!

Now my wife wants me to get rid of the car! We shall see... Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Il Sat, 09 Apr 2011 12:51:23 -0700, Martin Joseph ha scritto:

Thumbs up!!!

Well, you can always get rid of your wife, instead... :-D

Reply to
Cordy