1986 300E How to prepare to lay to rest for winter

Hi

Here the winter is long (Nov to May) and temps can go down to -40C. What do I need to do to ensure there is no deterioration? The car will be in a garage and I will be starting it up regularly - but how regularly?

Many thanks

SR

Reply to
SR

Once a month and let it run for 15 minutes.Also make sure you don't have any cracks or chips in your windscreen.If you have a lot of moisture in your garage or wash it before you let it run,the doors will freeze shut in moments which I am sure you are already aware of.Ensure that you have a proper mixture of antifreeze to prevent a boilover.I deal with the same temperatures and found this to be the best course of action!

Reply to
CaptainW116

Forgot to add;add a bottle of gas antifreeze before your last fill up.

Reply to
CaptainW116

Whew! Why not just move down south??

cp

Reply to
cp

Thanks for the advice CaptainW116. Much appreciated.

Reply to
SR

I don't like the sun too much - nor terrorists. Here it is pretty stress free and a gentle pace of life. People say thank you to the bus driver when they get off and the driver wishes them a good day. Move? not on your life :)

Reply to
SR

Gas W116 will start at - 55 deg F with a windchill of - 80 deg F. without being plugged in.Maybe other MB can also?!?

At this temperature,you can take a cup of coffee piping hot and throw it in the air and before it can travel 1 foot,will turn into snow.

Funny thing is that tires freeze in the shape that they sit and when you leave its almost like you have wheel boots on all 4 tires which makes for quite a bumpy ride for a few blocks.

Reply to
CaptainW116

ha! That's why I almost moved to the Yukon! Maybe we still will; if stuff goes downhill here I'll be able to eat at least moose or something, and drive my diesel on whale oil ha!

cp

Reply to
cp

Now that you mention that tire freezing (the first time it happened to me in my Bonneville I thought the bearings had gone) I think it might be a good idea to jack up the car onto axel supports.

Reply to
SR

Shoot!It's unbearable enough just going out to start it and back in the house!

Ever seen a corvette shatter?I did at this temperature when it smacked into a plow truck,not a pretty sight.

Reply to
CaptainW116

Ouch! They do that at room temperature too though...

Reply to
Martin Joseph