1998 C280 ignition release

When I insert the key fob into the ignition, it does not release allowing me to turn the fob in the ignition to start the engine. I have changed the fob batteries within the last month to try and fix
this but the new batteries have not changed the difficulty in starting the car. I try turning the steering wheel, moving the gear shift, though it wont release from park, opening and closing the door locks both manually and with the key fob and stepping on the brake - nothing seems to work. Does anyone have an answer to what might be wrong?