2004 E320 back up light question

I see that the back up bulbs for my 2004 E320 wagon are listed as HiP style ones that only the dealer can replace...it also lists optional LED bulbs too... but I am pretty sure I don't have LED ones.

When i look through the lense, it looks like a regular back-up bulb. The access to the bulbs is behind panels on the lift gate...which looks scary in the fact that I have to remove a lot of hardware and snaps, etc...

I was thinking about adding the 50 watt backup bulbs that I used in my c320 wagon, but am concerned about opening up this compartment an potentially breaking "one time usage" snaps of fasteners to find that I cannot replace anything

What are HiP bulbs?

Reply to
Rich Williamson