300E No markings on trans dipstick

'86 300E )

Driving my father's '86 300E. While checking trans fluid I noticed no markings (high/lo) on the dipstick. Stick looks original as it has the red cap with the latch. Stick has an 'S' bend towards the end followed by ~ 60 mils straight stick.

Any pointers on where the fluild should fall.

Thx Chip L

Reply to
Chip L

check again there should be 4 marks approx 3 inches from bottom starting from lowest min level transmission fluid cold, next max (fluid level cold) then min (fliud hot veh been driven for approx 45 mins) then the highest being max (fluid hot) be carefull not to overfill oil.

Reply to
dratwal

Chip, I bought an 85 380SE 6 weeks ago. I can just barely see the marks on the transmission dipstick, there are two. Try looking again very carefully. djb2000

Chip L wrote:

Reply to
djb2000 via CarKB.com

Thx guys. My vision is not great due to a botched cataract surgery.

The stick is almost black from being 20 years old. I scuffed the stick w/ 0000 steel wool hoping to see markings but still don' t see them sooo..... Where should the fluid level be on the straight part below the 'S'. Is Midway safe/OK?.

Reply to
Chip L

Chip,

Sounds like you have a couple of choices, either get some professional assitance or guess. If you can find an exact match replacement for the dip stick that could help too. The transmission fluid level is VERY important and the tranny doesn't tolerate under and over filling.

djb2000

Chip L wrote:

Reply to
djb2000 via CarKB.com