300E that cut out when going into gear

I was looking to buy a 1988 300E yesterday and the seller showed me a car that appears to have a slight issues. He can start it up the first time and the engine runs and everything, then we tried to take it for a drive. He shift it into gear D and the engine cuts out. After that he can't even start the car. It would crank and crank but won't start up.

Is this a known problem? Is it expensive to fix. Of course he is selling it as is. The cars body looks good and has only 150000 miles.

Reply to
Joseph

Well it's not UNknown. Impossible to say what it is though.

A good start would be to see what it's not getting, spark, fuel or air.

I'll bet $1 on spark and $0.25 on crank sensor.

Reply to
Richard Sexton