'83 300SD cruise control problem

I'm leaving on my first long distance trip since buying my 83 300SD TD. I've ordered the manual for my car, and was wondering if anyone knows a fix for a partially working cruise control (since the manual
won't arrive in time).
Pushing up on the cruise control arm will accelerate the car, but it won't hold at the desired speed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lawrence
Typical, bad logic board. see www.gdl-online.com
Tom-- what about surging? --Geoff '84 300D