84 190e sunroof prob

is it possible to close sunroof permanently with no motor on the cable? all i have is the cable sticking out in the trunk, no motor, no nothing. top had been taped to seal out weather previously. thanks
-gary
Yes, with the spark plug wrench thing in the tool bag... Wait a minute... mmm... I am wondering if the motor unit is the one that has the crank...
On the driver side of the trunk... there is a slot where you can stick in a wrench to crank the sunroof close... but now I am thinking... it is part of the motor...
So grab a plier and turn that cable until it is shut. If I were you, I'd get a used motor off ebay and put it in.
As well as I remember, the cable is not turned. It is pushed or pulled by the gear mechanism.
So I should be possible to push or pull the cable, until the roof is closed.
/Jens
Tiger wrote:

It is turned... it got a spline... I know because I have changed the motor before.

Actually it is splined, but it's turned by the motor. The transport is a plain tube, so pushing it would work if the cable wasn't frayed and stuck, which it probably will be.
There also was a manual handle to open and close this roof available (not in USA). I wanted to get one of the manual setups when my sunroof died, but ended up replacing the cable...
Good Luck, Marty