Air Pump On A 90 Mercedes 300E 2.6L

I have a 90 300E 2.6L that runs great with 245,000 miles on it. Recently I switch mechanics and it was brought to my attention that my car does not have an air pump.

Can someone explain to me what is the purpose of the air pump and if it is needed for the car to perform properly?

Thanks.

Reply to
RalvaS

switch mechanics and it was brought to my attention that my car does not have an air pump. Can someone explain to me what is the purpose of the air pump

Reply to
Bill Ditmire

Damn! $1200 for an air pump? $441 is the lowest price I have seen for quick search at Mr. Auto Parts.

Air pump is used only when engine is cold to supply extra air while idling. It is part of emission control... but rarely used device... only when engine is cold first thing in the morning.

Reply to
Tiger

I thought the purpose was to provide enough air so unburnt fuel would burn, thus heating up the cats faster.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

Partly.. The Air Pump is used to add air at the exhaust ports to aid the in the oxidation of CO and HC to meet emissions and also heat the cat. It has nothng to do with tricking 02 sensor . The ECU will not let the pump circuit come on unless it is in open loop. Once the system goes into 02 sensor closed loop, the pump circuit is done..

Reply to
AJDalton7

Emissions reduction, it injects air into the exhaust so the catalysts can reduce the hydrocarbons.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach