Alternate/Battery Visit Workshop (2002 C240)

Hi All,

Yesterday while driving home, on the highway, I started getting this warning in "red" color "Alternate/Battery - visit workshop"

I called my dealer and he said that they car may die on the road so instead of driving, tow it to us. As the dealer I trust is 30KM away, I decided to continue to home.

This morning I started the car and there was no warning (No Malfunction). I took the car to a nearest mechanic, he hooked it to computer and said there are no errors. However, although the battery is ok, may be you should replace it. If the error comes back again (with in two weeks), he will put my old battery back and replace the alternator ($1000 including labour). I have given him a go ahead to replace the battery.

Any suggestions how should I proceed if I get this warning again. If its faulty alternator, should I go to dealership?

My warranty expired 5 weeks ago :(

Thanks

Reply to
yassir

I would say don't worry about it. I think it is the battery too. On modern Mercedes, we get random errors that comes and goes and majority of the reason is the battery.

When the voltage dip in the entire system, the computer thinks something is wrong as the voltage reading is out of specification.

It is a good thing, you only replaced the battery because I think that is all you need.

My folk's 2001 spit out randome errors... SRS, BAS, and something else... turns out to be the battery. Sometime it appears... usually first thing in morning and then the rest of the day is 50/50 chance of popping up.

Reply to
Tiger

I concur. I have had these same sorts of random faults in a '99 e430. New battery solved it. Curiously my 2001 SLK320 did not have this problem (no warning) and the battery just died.

Reply to
me