cam chain change E240

Since the cam chain on the E240 V6 (99 2.4 L) is a steel chain not a belt, does it have to be replaced at intervals, or can i just leave it alone? Wouldn't be fun if it snapped or slipped....

Chains wear and eventually need to be replaced. The rate of the chain's wear is related to the maintenance level. The chain's wear can be measured to determine when the chain's replacement is prudent.

Timing chains seem to be an issue only with Benz. Chain wear in my opinion is more related to the amount of idling the engine does.
Chas Hurst
Ok
So at what mileage does one need to take a look at the belt? Engine has 60K on in now, been serviced regularly and will be in the future too.

I would have the timing chain checked for wear at 150,000 Km OR at the interval specified by M-B if that is sooner.

Has Benz ever specified a timing chain check as a regular maintenance task? What would a check entail?
Chas Hurst