Chain saw oil - good

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I tried adding 2 liters og chain saw oil to my engine. The oil is thick and "glues" well. Used for chain saws for the chain to be lubricated. Really
cheap also.
This had made my 190 D 2.5 very quiet where it before at aroung 1500 rpm at 50-60 km/h made some mechanical noice.
I shall try and add even more oil at next oilchange like 4 liters of chain oil and 3 liters of regular 15/40W oil from the local supermarket.
My 190 D 2.5 is from 1987 and has done over 650.000 km. Runs 16 km. pr. liter. Automatic 4 gear.
Niels
You're either a troll or joking right?
Hey - when I fill my engine with ice-cream it runs much cooler, must be good?
Me: Doctor, when I poke my finger in my eye it hurts. Doctor: Stop poking your finger in your eye Me: Wow, that's amazing, the pain has gone.
You surely are joking?

--
Bill

No, oil is oil. And it does the job very fine. Not cooler but les mechanical noice as mentioned. In chain oil something is added to make it "glue" better.

OMG. Are you serious? The chain lubricant won't work in high temperatures! And it's probably manufactured of vegetable oil, which will burn and form black carbon deposit. I also suspect it won't lubricate very well... :) Did you try if it even gets mixed with the motor oil you're using?
If you really are serious, I'm willing to hear further comments concerning this particular engine ... :)
flwgrsp

Mixes very well - I also added some 800 ml. of PTFE (Teflon) from a spraycan I bought from biltema.dk (just search for "teflon")
Engine is much more quite now - runs very good. Oil is not black - well, not too black yet. All oils I have tried from Mobil 1 to the cheapest turns black after just 500 km. driving.
Niels
news.tele2.dk wrote:

It is meant to turn black you muppet. Where do you think all those combustion bi-products are now that they have detergent free oil in the sump?
Huw

The oil is actually ordinary oil it says on the 4 liter container I bought - mineral - not vegetable.
That is completely ignorant, sorry!
You should not mix chainsaw oil into the crankcase of a car!
If you really need some sort of increased viscosity to quiet an older noisy engine I recommend Powerpunch.
The oil turning black is completely normal and OK, this is expected as carbon blowby gases accumulate in the oil.
Still I guess you are just trying to destory the engine? So good luck to you.
Marty
PS mixing various viscosity oils doesn't work, they will seperate like different sized marbles when they sit in the crankcase.

Seems to work fine. I don't believe there will be any problem. The oil looks fine and seems to mix very well. Most if not all oils in fact can be mixed.
The stuff in chain saw oil I believe that makes it stick better is some sort of vaseline - a petrolium product - oil that is.
After I did many oil changes with different oils from Mobil 1 synth. (expensive) to the least expensive from Aldi (non synth.) adding chain saw oil (mineral) has improoved the engine that is the noices there was. A higher viscosity oil was needed in this 650.000 km. engine it seems.
I guess noone want to tell us that because oil companies want to sell there expensive oils at many $ per. liter when a good homemade mixture from a cheap mineral 15/40W oil and chain oil mineral can do the job better. The Aldi oil is actually from Statoil it says on the plastic container in small letters so I guees it is the same stuff oil I can buy at Statoil for 5 times the price.
I realize that the oil will turn black - sure, yes. Knew that after reading up on diesel engines shortly after I got my MB 190 D 2.5.
Niels
Let us know how the engine performs when you have reached 700 000 km.
DAS

I will. I have droven it now for 40.000 km. since I got the car in February this year. The previous owner had not maintained the car and especially the engine. Now after I have changed oil many times and cared for the car and changed the top gasket the car runs better and better. And the engine responses strong and fast and now sounds a brand new engine with that lovely MB diesel engine noice. When I got the car the engine sounded like it was braiking down but because of lack of maintanance and no regular oil-changes the engine SOUNDED like it and it probably would have suffered if I did not get to it.
Niels
Niels Ulrik Reinwald dgdf wrote:

An engine does not last 650,000kms without proper maintainance. If wear already present is repairing itself due to the use of chainsaw oil, there is hope for all old engines yet. I would be surprised if your rings don't stick soon, but then again you may have no bad effects. Just don't increase the proportion of chain oil much.
Huw
On 2004-10-10 03:30:23 -0700, "Niels Ulrik Reinwald dgdf"

Now it will die because of your "maintenence".
I used to work for a BWM master mechanic in Boston and I heard 100's of customers ask about oil additives and treatments, and he always told them:
"put nothing into the crankcase but the recommended motor oil"
Marty

Allright. And Volvo cars just had to withdraw some 100.000 newly sold cars because of malfunction in production line. Selling a car they [Volvo] recommended.
I recommend something different and it does the job:
1. More regular oilchanges (than the manifacturer says). 2. Try different oils (brands/viscosity) (than the manifacturer says) 3. Don't trust the experts.
Regards Niels
OK, I'll put waste oil from McDonalds into my engine. I shall ignore the experts and use this stuff, which will be very cheap or even free.
DAS

Don't they (McDonald etc.) use parafin to cook with. Palm oil perhaps. Will work fine to run a diesel if preheated.
Has a high viscosity when cold but mix it with some petrolium.
You'v got to be a fool to fool a fool so don't fool yourself regarding this issue. Use common sence as well.
Regards Niels
"news.tele2.dk" wrote:

Yes - and this common sense says _as always in life it depends_ which in this case means you can use that stuff in old prechamber MB diesel engines, but NOT in current direct injection engines like MB CDIs.
Juergen
"news.tele2.dk" wrote:

Forgot to give an URL: A basic source in GERMAN language is http://www.beepworld.de/members31/andre1278/neuling.htm
Juergen
"news.tele2.dk" wrote:

My recommendation is: Don't trust Niels
And I mean that serious - having some experience for some years with some MBs I can _not_ recommend more regular oil changes than recommended by the manufacturer (in this case MB), not even under heavy-duty circumstances; using the recommended oilchange intervals works fine.
Also I would _not_ recommend to use any other than the oils certified by the manufacturer (MB) - the possible savings effect does _not_ compensate the risk of engine damage. But of course I am a fan of comparing prices - THAT can save lots of Euros, Dollars or Renminbis!
And although I am avery sceptical guy and do not miss any chance to criticise MB I _do_ trust MB in regard of the recommended engine oils - in this field the MB guys definitely are experts.
Juergen

I think the OP is on to something here. The engine is already quieter and it will be even more quiet when it stops running, which likely won't take too long.\