"check engine" light

Is there a way to obtain the code or read out the reason for, the "check engine" light???

Oh, I forgot to say that my car is a '99 E300 with less than 45,000 miles. Checked all the fluid levels... all ok. Looked for loose wiring, none found. "Check Engine" indicator did go out on a trip to store. But, came back on the way back and has remained on.

Make sure the fuel filler cap is tight and its seal is not damaged.
--

- RODNEY

Pepboys or Kragen or one of those types of stores has a monitor that you can borrow to check and see what the car is trying to report.

Yes, go to your closest autozone store and ask to borrow their OBD2 scanner... they rent these tool free.
Thank you. I'll see what they have.