Convertible sales UK

Page 2 of 2

you
the
garage
think
$46,000
I wish. A person cannot privately import a used car into Australia unless they've owned it overseas for over 1 year. Also, it would need to be converted to right hand drive...

$60,000
That's got nothing to do with how much new cars cost.

and
hardly
I'm only partly joking. For the price of a single new S Class Mercedes, you could do what I have done, which is to purchase BOTH a 99 S 420 (current price for one with under 100,000 miles is about $30,000 USD, and a 96 Dodge Viper with a V-10 (or other convertible sports cars) for about $40,000 USD.
If you can afford a Mercedes S Class ($80,000 USD) or E Class ($60,000 USD) you can have a convertible for all the days it doesn't rain, and a sedan for carrying people, grocery shopping, rain days, etc.
Larry

There are three very sober reasons why:
1) relative earnings 2) marking positioning (in the UK a BMW is - almost - "just a car") 3) market size.
If BMW Australia (and the Oz government) didn't nail Australians quite so hard, they'd sell more. But then BMW Australia would lose its precious, super-premium, maximum-margin positioning. As a consolation, BMWs in Oz depreciate slower than they do in the UK.