Diesel prices

Page 4 of 4
me wrote:

My Datsun mech installed one in his garage to avoid the PITA of disposing it. It's made sense for him for years.
JD

if he was burning waste motor oil like that, it is illegal to do __________________________________________ Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
jdoe wrote:

I don't know what to tell you. The heater was specifically designed to burn used motor oil and the county (Snohomish, WA) gave it their blessing. <shrug>
JD

maybe in W VA it is legal, but in many places it isn't __________________________________________ Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
jdoe wrote:

Snohomish County is in Washington state, one of the most obsessively "green" places in the country.
JD

that could be, but apparently they've missed the boat on this issue __________________________________________ Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Yes, I know a Chevy car dealer in my area did that... burns used motor oil. Beside that, it cost a fortune to pay for natural gas to heat their building.

A local mechanic has one about 10 miles from my house. The first time he fires it up every year some one invariably calls the fire department :)
I have never seen one used yet for WVO though.
trader4 wrote:

With these three, it was fine beyond the communication challenges. My Spanish is really bad and my Chinese is non-existant, so it took a while to describe what it was that I wanted (non-hydrogenated used vegetable oil). There were a few other places where communication difficulties led to just giving up, but sadly most restaurants around here use (partially) hydrogenated oil which is as bad for the motor in your car as it is for the motor in your chest. Folks in NYC and Baltimore, at least, have the pick since those cities (and probably more) have banned the use of hydrogenated oil in the restaurants.
The Chinese place actually had just cancelled his oil pickup because he was disgusted with them wanting to raise the prices to him but still turn around and sell it themselves. I went in only an hour or so after he'd cancelled that service and he said, "I was wondering what I was going to do."
The difference between the oil from the three places is noticable. The Chinese has a lot more solid matter in it, but otherwise I use it all. The Mexican must be cooked hotter because it gets somewhat hydrogenated. The Greek is a mishmash of oil, olive and peanut mostly, and is pretty clean overall but the bottom of the barrel always has a huge pile of falafel sludge in it. This burns the hardest (especially in cold weather) but it still works ok. I've started pouring 8oz of Marvel Mystery Oil per tank in, it definitely helps with combustion. Car stinks like french fries, which isn't a problem on the freeway but it always wafts up when I pull up to a light. The MMO helps that, though, by helping the fuel burn more completely.
-tom!

I tried using oil from a Chinese restaurant once. The car ran fine, but an hour later I had to fill the tank again.
Geoff
-- "Not only did Barack deny knowing that his scribe was an unpatriotic, imbalanced bigot, but he also said he didn't even know Wright was black until last Monday."                 -- Doug Giles
Anything cost less than $4 is good news.