Diesel prices rediculous!!

The price of Diesel fuel right now is robbing. Im going to guess that the price of Diesel fuel this winter will be $5.00 gal! Let them raise the price and gouge every single Diesel consumers' income out!

Reply to
aircoolit

The price of Diesel is still lower in the US than in many countries. Lower than they pay or a regular bases. I suspect that it is not going to be going up much more as the current price reflects the heating season increase already as home owners have already been filling their tanks.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It's not just diesel fuel. All fossil fuels are getting very expensive, and as the supply of these finite quantities of fossil fuels inevitably decline, it will only get worse. Wonder when our so-called leaders will finally wake up to this fact and begin to bring in alternatives that are technically possible right now?

Reply to
Papa

"Papa" wrote

The more the public acquiesce the higher they will stay like property taxes. They raise them, nothing happens unpleasant and the perpetrators think, "hmmmmmm that was not bad let's raise them again." If the same people were around today during colonial times, the US would never had formed as they would have accepted the taxes. People are wimps today and PAY happily.

Have the truckers do a nationwide strike on diesel pricing and that would get the attention of the politicians. That probably will never happen. (and I am not particularly a 'union' type of person). Gas prices will go down if consumption goes WAY down. They would compete more for crude sales in futures.

As far as alternatives, hydrogen could in the future work and still keep the integrity of the internal combustion engine manufacturing base making cars similar as today. Fuel cell research was approved a few years ago in funding from the highest levels though perhaps needs more funding. Also perhaps, in the future instead of an oil well pumping it could be a nuclear-to-hydrogen plant, releasing all the O2 so when combusted there would be NO atmospheric alteration or emissions. A wash with the by-product of combustion - water.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

$7.35 here in the UK (£0.95 litre)

Reply to
Juan Hanglow

"Juan Hanglow" wrote

Point well taken, but here in the US truckers sometimes go 3500 miles cross country for *one stop*. At least in the UK there would be much more stops in much less distance making the price of the fuel more cost effective per delivery cost. (obviously, not a trucker, by the way)

Harry

Reply to
Harry

Actually, that would be $6.33 for a US gallon - it's smaller than a *proper* gallon ;-)

Reply to
John

snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com (aircoolit) wrote in news:57u1f.406839$_o.297562@attbi_s71:

Demand, meet supply.

They have it.

You want it.

Take it or leave it.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I disagree. The fuel prices in the U.$. are far too low compared to other nations. The prices must hit at least $5/gallon before imperialist stooge masses change their lemming-like buying habits and alter the capitalist machine's focus from making gas hogging monster machines.

Reply to
ksternberg1

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com () wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

You disagree with what?

Well, I'm sure your local retailer would be happy to take any additional money you might care to give him. Of course, this would make paying at the pump a problem for you.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I'm leaving it. I rode the bicycle to the bus stop, put it on the bus, then got off about a mile from the office. I didn't care that it was 55 deg.F and drizzling. I watched the Charlie Rose show last night and the CEO of BP was on. BP is on target to make $20 billion in profit this year. I got pissed and said to myself "not another penny more from me anyways".

My 1995 Jetta is sitting nicely in the driveway today.

Reply to
PabloRena ---> AnalProbe

Good for you! At least some of us are fighting back.

Reply to
Papa

That will happen shortly after you realize that we're rotten with crude oil and need more refineries to make use of the stuff. The U.S. has not built a new refinery in nearly 30 years. Environmentalists and NIMBYs have seen to that. From the bottom of my very empty pocket, I give my heartfelt thanks.

Yes, there is a finite amount of oil, just like there is a finite amount of everything else. But we cannot say with authority that we have used the lion's share of the world's oil reserves. And it is absurd to imply that prices are high because supply is dwindling.

I'm all in favor of alternative energy. We need an infrastructure to support it and the industry needs a willing target market. If you show me a big honkin' SUV that runs on HFCs that will get 350+ miles and it'll cost me $30 to refill, then I might be interested. The price would have to be competitive with current SUV prices, of course.

Reply to
Brian Talley

Brian, unfortunately you, along with far too many others, have allowed others to do your thinking. Forget agendas and party loyalties and just look at the evidence. The conclusion is obvious when you do that.

Regards.

Reply to
Papa

Nonsense. Let's talk about the modern breed of managers who instead of planning decades ahead just see the next quarterly profit report.

Reply to
Rene

Headline news, BP shares drop as Jetta stays put............I bet they are shaking in their boots.

Reply to
Juan Hanglow

The poster, like any rational person, is taking his action for his own purposes and benefit, not to inspire fear in someone else.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

There's also the fact that refineries are very expensive.

Besides, what motivations are there to build them? The companies that own refineries are making nice profits now, so why would they risk this nice state of affairs (for them) with a major outlay of hundreds of millions of dollars?

Welcome to capitalism.

Reply to
David Magda

Perhaps the way goods are transported should be rethought then? Could the goods be produced closer to where they are sold? (Instead of the other side of the country or the world.) Of course this isn't possible in all cases.

The current state of affairs was built on the assumption of low energy costs (which leads to low shipping costs). This assumption will probably no longer be true in the not too distant future.

BTW, does anyone know if there are hybrid systems tractor units? I've heard of trains using a turbine to create electricity, and then use it to drive electric engines, but not too much about hybrid trucks.

Reply to
David Magda

Oh, wait -- I think I've got the perfect answer. First, let's get rid of all environmental laws. Then, let's give a few billions of our tax dollars to the oil companies, so they can build their new refineries without putting too much of a dent in their profits.

Perfect! So obvious, I wonder why the Republicans haven't thought of it yet.

Reply to
Brian Running