Floor Pan Rust/Replacement

I'm about to embark on a project that I have not done before. I Mercedes have always been 123 or 126 bodies, and I have had little or no rust.
I now have a 115 240D that I am restoring and bingo--driver's side floorplan
rusted through near the rail. Oddly, there is little rust on the rest of the car.
Any and all suggestions for the best way to deal with this will be most appreciated.
Sincerely,
Randall Brink
Your previous posts implied that this car also needs an engine overhaul. Perhaps its time to reassess restoring the car and rather spend your time on more profitable things. This sounds hard but at the end of all your work and $$ you'll own a 30 year old car, period. These were not wonderful cars 30 years ago so why do it?
A 280SL or something rare would be another matter but a 240D? Doesn't compute, IMHO.
Well, I see your point, certainly. But this car is so good in every other respect (the overhaul issue pertained to another car) that I'm tempted to do at least a partial restoration . I just love the Mercedes diesels, and all Benzs, really. I have had several non-turbo'd and turbo-charged 123s; I owned and loved a wonderful 300SD, and will probably have another one.
I'm not sure I understand your comment about the 240Ds not being wonderful 30 years ago. Were you refering to the 115s? I think that the 123s were far better, at least in my experience.
Randall Brink

3
Right, 123 is the better machine, by far.
I've owned a '80 300SD since new; its gone 108K miles and looks nearly new so I'm qualified to agree about diesels.
My point about old cars is simply that everyone has limited time and limited $ and that these resources shouldn't be allocated to dead end cars - cars that have earned no particular merit in the eyes of the world.
My personal favorite of all the cars I've owned is the 300SD. My 450SEL is a very close second. I do not think Mercedes ever made a better car than the 126 diesels.

I think the 115 300D was one of the all time great cars in the US as it was the only one you could get with power nothinbg (windows, locks etc) and non-turbo. The ultimate low maintenance car.
You should be able tio find a cheap motor in a wrecked or rusted car. I've seen enough guys getthese for free or $1 that I'd say it's a reasonable thing to look for.
You need to properly assess the rust damage though. If it's in the rails you're screwed. Floor pans are easy but a rail would replacement would be more than finding another equal or better car IMO.

Perhaps true, but spending 60K on a new car doesn't really compute either...

either...
Sometimes it does. I'd bankrupt myself for my car, it means that much to me. I've had it my entire life. Richard

You were born with a car?
Cool.

Well, it wasn't mine, my dad had bought it for my mom, but then I basically acquired it when I became of driving age. Richard

If the rust isin the frame rail it'd be cheaper to get another car.
But,if it really just is the floor pan you "simply" remove it and weld in a new one. K&K Manufacturing sells these them.
That's what's odd about this one. In the past, when I've seen neglected 115s that were rusty, they were rusty everywhere--shot. But this one has that one pan, and the rest of the pans, frame members, everything has escaped rust, except a fender, which needs replacing anyway, and for which I have a spare new OEM fender.
Randall

The driver probably tracked in some kind of salt or other oxidizing agent... Certainly we do track in water...
Marty
Yes, and there have been known to be window leaks and such, and this car had seen storage time, where moisture can attack, etc.
--
Randall Brink
Author