welding floor pan

Hi,

I've plated over a hole in the floor of my old cav. cut all the rust out but fitted slightly oversize plate from the inside - needed to hammer into shape as I went so much easier to fit oversize plate to inside. Obviously the overlap is visible from underneath, do I need to now weld this up on the underside of the car or can I just seam seal the gap between floor and new plate to be good enough for MOT.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jimzzr

I would be sealing the underside with a body "tar" or seam sealer what ever you call it and leaving the top with just an undercoat just to prove that there are no leaks and has not compromised the structure. This should satisfy an inspection.

Reply to
Rob

It would depend on how close it is to a structural point. If it comes within this the weld would need to be easily inspected at the MOT. If not, it doesn't matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

in your case I would knock all the edges together from the underside and tack the join every inch or so, then a quick clean up with a belt sander , blow the dust out, red oxide primer and use seam sealer, then a coat of sill guard or underseal. done properly it should just disappear. the mot inspection is limited in any case to tapping and prodding.

Reply to
Mrcheerful