Funky dashboard/radio/shifter light situation

Hi,
I have a '92 300E. 2 nights ago, I got in to my car at night and turned on my headlights. The lights that are supposed to come on when you turn
on your lights (dashboard, radio, climate control panel, shifter, etc.) did not come on, and haven't come on since. All the warning lights, the outside thermometer, gauges, the ashtray light and radio work fine.
I have checked all the fuses that say instrument panel, and they are fine. This leads me to believe that it is something with the headlights switch not tell the dash lights to come on maybe? As far as I know, I don't have an dashboard dimmer in this car. But I could be wrong, and really stupid for having turned it all the way down!
Anyway, any thoughts on this matter would be most appreciated.
Thanks!
The Chairman
I would HIGHLY suspect the rheostat on the cluster going bad before the headlight switch ever goes bad.
Have you turned the knob back and forth?

and off multiple times. However, I don't know if I even have a dimmer for my dash lights. I couldn't find one, but then again I ain't that bright!
Do you if and where one is on a '92 300E?
Thanks,
The Chairman
Erm,
This one, in the pic.
http://www.mercedesshop.com/diy/w124inst_cluster/tool_left_side.jpg
I recommend the rest of the site too.
Regards, WS
The Chairman wrote:

Eureka! I've had this car for about 5 years and never knew that that knob dimmed the dash lights as well. I thought it was only the tripometer. I must have turned it to a bad spot on the rheostat last time I reset the tripometer.
Thanks to both of you for your help on this!

They can be replaced.. or even repaired. Change the dash bulbs while you're in there, it'll bever have seemed so bright.
http://articles.mbz.org/instrument /