ignition problem

Hi, I am driving a 1993 190e 2.6v mercedes and am having trouble turning the key. I moved the steering wheel and it still won't budge. Is the ignition broken and will I need to spend $1000+ to fix it? Any advice is
welcome as I know nothing about cars!
Yep... your ignition tumbler is shot... Shoot some graphite lock lubricant into the keyhold and work the key at all possible angles... even tilted... twisted... If you do get the key to go on, do not turn it off... have the shop swap it out for you... temp so you can get your personal tumbler ordered to your current key...