Odometer- Mercedes 206E

The odometer on my 1988 260E has suddenly stopped dead.
Has anyone had this problem?
Is is a simple thing like a cable or fuse - or has the whole unit just died
with age as I suspect?
Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Peter
http://www.odometergears.com /
$65 for three gears you will need. Don't try to buy one gear at a time... I did that, I ended up with three gears and whole lotta shipping cost.
Typical problem. The E1 gear breaks off.
Tiger knows about those brittle gears ! There is a place in Texas that will repair it for $129, return shipping included.. Did a good job on mine from an 86 SEC. But you have to remove the steering wheel to get the instrument cluster out.

Most of the time, you DON'T need to remove steering wheel... just turn it in a certain way and viola!