Odometer stopped working

On my way home today I noticed my odometer stopped turning. It was stuck at 159,750. Also the trip stopped, and I'm guessing its related. My Explorer is a 96 XLT with auto trans. Does anyone have any ideas on what is broken? Any ideas on how much expense I'm looking at? I want to take it Friday to get fixed, so any feedback offered prior to that day would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and best wishes.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

I believe after 95 the speedo/odo are electronic, that is they use the VSS signal (vehicle speed sensor) instead of being driven by a cable. So if your speedo works, but not the odo, it must be the odo circuitry, which is built into the speedo assy if the odo is still the mechanical type (not an electronic display).

When I was looking for a speedo for my 94 in a junkyard, they had no Explorers, so I looked at other models. One was a Thunderbird. It had the electronic speedo/odo. It seemed to have a motor to drive the odometer, which was still the mechanical type. The speedo was like a tach, using pulses from the VSS to determine the amount of current to drive the meter with.

Or does yours have an electronic display? I believe the vehicle computer handles it if it has an electonic display.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide