oil weight - 300TDT?

Hi all just wondering what the appropriate oil weight would be for my 300tdt? for my toyota diesel it was 15w40 is this correct for the Mercedes diesel?
Also I live in Vancouver BC, should I take the car to a quicklube? I dislike paying huge dealer / boutique pricing for basic maintenance.
Yes, that is the right weight for diesel... If you can run synthetic, you might want to go with 5W40 by Shell Rotella...

10w-30 in winter - 15W-40 in summer. If it's really colds use synthetic so the engine turns freely in cold weather. If it's really cold you can use 0W-something oil.

There's something in bewteen. Find an independant mechanic that works on German cars. He'll be the one with the Mercedes, BMW and Audi's in the parking lot.
Richard Sexton wrote:

Thanks, no worries about cold here, we have had our few days of winter (-8c). I doubt we'll see much more <0 degree weather here now.
I'll install some 15w40 and look for a decent shop here in Vancouver.
Thanks Tiger and Richard!

I'd stay away from the 10W40 as that oil doesn't have the same quality as the 15W40 which is made for use in diesel engines with their higher requirements. If you have a starting problem in cold weather change the glow plugs to Bosch and/or install a block heater.

The weight of the oil and whether it's rated for diesel use are two different things. Valvoline makes a 10W40 that is CF rated. That's what I use in my 300SD in winter, as the owner's manual specifies that for below about 25 deg, as opposed to 15W40, which is OK for above 25 deg temp. When in doubt, read the manual.