Oil weight in Florida?

I have a 1966 beetle 1600 stock motor what weight of oil would be best running in 60-90 degree weather I have 20-50 in her now . but thinking of going to 30W ..

Herman the German

Reply to
tropical

The engine was designed for straight 30-Weight, so you cannot go wrong with that.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I'd say SAE 40 cause it's hot down there.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

IIrc Vw only specified altering recommended weight for extremes, mostly Arctic climates. Ok, I looked it up in a couple of original owner manuals I have:

SAE 30, 0 deg C - 40 deg C (30 deg F - 105-110 deg F) API SD. SAE 40, 15 deg C - off the scale (60 deg F - Off the scale) API SD.

The SAE 40 is listed as recommendation for warm season in Tropical climate. These recommendations cover both Type 1,2,3 and 4 engines.

The early T1's have a very slight difference in recommendations.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Was synthetic oil available when the VWs were still being made in Germany?

Reply to
John J

I.d agree with the 40 suggestion. Down in Australia it also can get a bit hot and with 30 grade you can get the pressure light coming on. I,ve ran

20-40 for some time, no problems. John
Reply to
John

I'm pretty sure that oil weighs the same in Florida as it does anywhere else.

Reply to
Leopold Stotch

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

0.9 times on mars
Reply to
David Gravereaux

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

0.17 times

David Gravereaux

Not to be too picky but one lb on Earth would weight about 0.38 lbs on Mars.

Reply to
Leopold Stotch

Aww, I did that from memory. I'm getting old ;)

Reply to
David Gravereaux