Power seats drawing current all the time

My 86 560SEC has a problem - the power seats draw about one half an ampere all the time, even when key off and car just sitting. The power seats work
when the key is off - is this normal? There is a relay in the fuse box that gets quite warm. When I remove this relay, the current drain stops, but the seats do not work. I have adjusted the seats to my liking and leave the relay out, otherwise the battery is drained in a few days if the car is not moved.
Did you try swapping the relay with another one?
Yes, I did. It made no difference.