R-12 vs. R-134a vs. Freeze 12

I've got R-12 in my '85. It works pretty good, and the car doesn't seem to run very hot when the AC is on.

I've got R-134a in my '86. It works pretty good when I'm driving the car down the road, but gosh almighty, is it pitiful at idle at the traffic light.

I'm in TX, and the '86 is a black car. ugh.

Anything to improve the performance of the 134a car?

Also, has anybody got experience with the Freeze 12 for R-12 systems?

Reply to
Kevin L. Bray

Anything to improve the performance of the 134a car? Also, has anybody got experience with the Freeze 12 for R-12 systems?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Your best bet would be to convert the 134a car back to R-12 if you want it to cool properly. And it is not a good idea to mix R-12 with Freeze 12 or any other gases. Nothing works better than a good system with R-12. And R-12 is coming way down in price too so it really doesn't make any sense to change over. Fix the R-12 system. You will stay cool.
Reply to
Rockman59

R12 is the best and is 4 degrees colder than 134A which seems to work best when a car is at speed on the highway. Freeze-12 is made from components including 134A and others. It seems to get colder than 134 but nothing gets as cold as R12! P.

Reply to
pkmaven