I need R-12

Anyone know were I can get R-12 Freon ? I want to recharge my 93 Cherokee and I dont want to retrofit it.

Reply to
abomb69

Most auto repair places will have R-12, you can't buy it yourself unless you're licensed, see below.

WARNING Federal Law provides that ONLY the following can purchase refrigerants.

Certified Refrigerant Technicians approved by the E.P.A. under Section

608 of the Clean Air Act.

Purchasers of refrigerant for resale to a Certified Refrigerant Technician.

Purchasers of R-134a, R-410A, and refrigerant supplies do not need a license.

Automotive Certified Refrigerant Technicians approved by the E.P.A. under Section 609 of the Clean Air Act (R-12 only).

Reply to
XS11E

First,

plus $24.95.Then
plus $15 to $30 or more per pound. Cheap and plentiful outside the USA. Take that trip to Belize! They're using it like water. $2/lb retail.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

You got a thousand dollars?

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

If you read the fine print, the law is kinda funny in that you can buy it to resell it without a licence but you cannot legally buy it to consume/use it. Also it more lax with 30 lb bottles than cans. I would suggest you try R12a. It is extremely popular in Austrialia were Dupont (who owns 134a patent) has little clout. It cools better than even R12 and a lot better than R134. It is based on isobutane which is flamable but there is not oxygen in system with it so it cannot burn and any possible fire from a leak would be limited because of the small amout present and BTU heat energy in that amount in AC system is a lot less than 1% of the amount of stored heat/fire energy in a fuel tank. You have far more to worry from about fuel tank in a wreck than isobutane in AC. Also, plain old propane works really well too. One more nice thing about R12a and Propane is that it binds fine to mineral oil used in R12 systems so there is not problems unlike R134 conversions which require a oil to be added to system to bind the mineral oil to R134a so it can be circulated through system. The problem is that unless this a a new system or one that has had a component change so that some system total oil volume is removed, the added oil adds a protential overcharge of oil in system.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Yo SnoJob, another of your seriously mentally deficient statements.

Why not just tell him to fill it with freaking propane?

You are once AGAIN giving life threatening advice in a public place!

And 'you' have the nerve to call me on total bullshit about pool lights when you advocate an explosive gas in the AC?

You are 'soo' far out in space.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike, Just a little tidbit of info. When I was in A/C school sponsored by Toyota in the mid-80's, we made A/C work with a number of things you wouldn't normally use as refrigerants. Propane was among them, and the best of all of them. Would it be dangerous? Who knows. Probably. But there's already pressurized gasoline under the hood of most vehicles, so it's already a dangerous environment.

Now, that said, I love to jump on Snojob anytime he spews his nonsense, so I'm not getting into that, your statement just brought up an old memory.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

You are FULLY INTENT on getting someone seriously injured or killed aren't you! Every damn week people of good conscious have to jump in and put a stop to your drivel! What the hell is wrong with you!

----------------------------------- Snojob Follies: SBJ: Dumb brake question

Heatwave

Can you find a modern car today with the fuel tank in the passenger cabin?

Can you find fuel lines running through the passenger cabing?

Do you smoke? What happens if someone lights up a cigarette with a evaporator leaking hc's into the cabin?

Have you seen evaporators, condensers, compressors, and the passenger cabin after a propane a/c system explosion? Its like turning your a/c system into an IED. Its real easy for the pressures to get out of hand. Not only do you endanger people inside the car but you also endanger anyone working on or around the car. Especially anyone trying to service the car. That compressor and condensor would go off like a grenade. Running anything other than r12 in a r12 system or 134a in a 134a system is nothing short of stupid.

Reply to
Heatwave

I was aware of how good propane is and how explosive thanks, hence my comment.

The 'big' issue is that a 'very' 'very' common leak for AC systems in Jeeps is in the unit under the dash so the cab of the vehicle will fill up with the flammable gas. Light a cigarette or set of a static spark or spark with the door light switch even and you would be BBQ ed.

Have a small leak see a static spark or a switch spark or even a radio spark and you have a blow torch going under your dash!

That Snojob fool gives me crap abut perfectly legal and 'normal' things and yet advocates breaking the law and using explosives in a Jeep.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

See? "They" said smoking was dangerous! ;)

Reply to
XS11E

I don't know why you're in such a tizzie over this. I use plutonium in my a/c and it works great. As a side benefit, I can easily find my Jeep in any parking lot at night. It's kind of a pretty greenish glow.

tw

Mike Roma> Yo SnoJob, another of your seriously mentally deficient statements. >

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
FrankW

Retrofit isn't so bad. Mexico has R-12.

Saludos cordiales,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

We just had a session with him as well at the dodge truck ng. It just sucks.

Time for the list at the dodge group, if you would. tia

Reply to
Roy

damn all these responces over night, all I want to do is refill the system with R-12, it currently still works, just isnt very cold.

Reply to
abomb69

r414b ("hot shot") is a direct drop-in and is still much cheaper than r12.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

propane is one of the most efficient refrigerants you can use......were it not for the whole dying from the explosion from the evaporator leak thing it would be a great recommendation. i used it myself when i was young and dumb (17 years old or so).....wouldnt dream of it today though.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

the boiling point is low making it an extremely efficient refrigerant.....but the potential for DEATH is to high to even consider it in this type of application. if a leak didnt exist, he wouldnt be needing refrigerant. knowing there is a leak and even considering a combustible is foolish at best.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

thats just not true sir. while using propane in either system (for this application) is indeed nothing short of stupid, there are many compatible refrigerants that will work as well (and in most cases, _better_) in either application.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier