rattle in passenger side rear

I have 1 '79 240d, daily driver.
Last week I hit a pot hole at about 30 mph with the passenger side rear wheel.
Noticed an immediate rattle.
Stopped and looked, saw that muffler supports (rubber) were broken (some
not all).
Ordered new rubber supports and replaced them.
Rattle still there, and really bangs when I hit a bump on that side.
I think might be a shock.
If so, how to I determine?
How is it replaced?
Can I do it, or what degree of experience, special tools would be needed?
I got this car because new cars have gotten too complex for me to work on.
So far it has been fun.
j.
I suggest you look at your rear sway bar links... they are plastic and will break as it get very old.

Yes, also pulling the wheel and examining the brake might be a good idea.
Marty
Into the living sea of waking dreams wrote:

update:
Jacked up rear end, noticed that driver side wheel hung down further than the passenger side.
The noise seems to come from the passenger side.
replaced rubber donots on exhaust system.
Rattles still there.
I could not see anything broken or even showing signs of being hit under car.
Am going to pull rear seat and look at top of shock adsorber.
How difficult is it to change rear shock adsorber?
the manual (Haynes) has one picture and one paragraph.
what disturbs me is using jack to put shock in.
I like to work on cars, but I do know my limitations.
J.
BTW, inspected sway bar, looks ok, solidly connected both ends.