RE: ML320 - 2000 Rear brakes, disk and drum combo?

I recently replaced the rotor and disk brake pads all around on my ML320 and was surprised to find the rear rotors contained a set of drum brakes as well. Are these solely for the purpose of the parking
brake?
When I was shopping for the parts I saw reference to parking brake drum pad sets, so I am guessing that's what it is. If anyone can confirm or set me straight I would appreciate it.
Yes, those are parking brake assembly... you rarely if ever have to change those pads.

Unless you go driving around with it engaged!