removing ignition tumbler

I'm having trouble getting the ignition tumbler out of my 1984 300SD. I've read the posts but am still having trouble.
I get the key to position 1 and insert a small wire.
How far should this wire go in? So far I can only get it to go about half an inch or so. And I've been messing with it for a while!!
Does it need to go in further to unlock the black cylinder that goes around the tumbler?
Will I hear a click? Should the black cylinder pop off?
Thanks, Jeff
OK, I just found the very detailed and great pictorial on this on Diesel Giant's website....thanks Diesel Giant!
Looks like I'm in far enough and should press in towards the center of the tumbler.
Jeff
I got the tumbler out. One trick is to not trust the position markings on the black housing. The indent slot was a good half inch away from where it was indicated.
Just keep pushing on the wire you're using as you move the key back and forth in the general area of position 1--the middle black marking on the housing boss---until you feel it slip in.
Jeff