The rise of diesel - the continuing story

Page 2 of 2
Now I remember this. I would have thought that the saving would be much more than $500/annum. And 100K per year in Victoria is surprising for that pleasant little burg :-) I wonder how many of those taxi
will make 700,000-900,000km with no overhauls like the around 10 benz taxi drivers I've spoken to. They claimed NOT to have done any overhauls on either the engine or transmission.
cp

http://www.ama.ab.ca/cgi-ebs/corporate_comm/westworld/westworld_articles.jsp?article şb05ww_hottopics&link=cs_main
Add pictures here
✖
Yet another article
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0519/p14s01-sten.html?s=u
cp
Add pictures here
✖
"There was an article a few months ago in the Canadian motor club magazine trumpeting the virtues of the Toyota Prius hybrid. There are several being used in Victoria, British Columbia, and the savings in fuel over a year
added up to CDN$500 compared with a 'standard' taxi (Ford Crown Vic?? they didn't say). Think about it. In conditions absolutely ideal for the hybrid technology, 24hrs a day of stop and go city traffic, the saving over a year was $500 (`0 litres of fuel give or take). How many litres worth of petroleum did it take to refine the several pounds of Cobalt in the battery?. How many non-hybrid cars did Toyota have to sell to make up the couple thousand dollars of loss per Prius? Between 1/2 and 3/4 of the life-cycle energy cost of an automobile are used up in it's manufacture. How long does a Prius last? As long as a Crown Vic or Lincoln Town Car?
I don't know, I'm just askin'. John M., Sceptic '94 E320 "
This article is full of half-truths and distortions. For example, they acknowledge that the test drivers changed their driving habits in terms of acceleration and braking because they were driving a hybrid. Well, if you take any car and accelerate/brake intelligently, that alone will improve fuel economy. Then they say that fuel savings were $500 per year for a taxi compared to the taxi fleet average. That isn't very impressive and could be very misleading. For one thing, taxis rack up a hell of a lot of miles compared to the typical car. Second, what were the taxi fleet's other cars? If you're comparing a small hybrid to more roomy, heavier taxis, then a good deal of the $500 savings has nothing to do with the hybrid technology.
Later in the article they say the hybrid is rated at $500 less in annual fuel consumption tests compared to average. But, again, what is average based on? It likely also includes a lot of bigger, heavier passenger cars, so again the savings are only partly due to hybrid technology. And they point out that this is based on lab tests, not actual usage. They also say the drivers doing actual road tests for the report got 43MPG highway, 40 city which is pretty close to that of a diesel like the VW Jetta.
Most interesting of all is how they completely ignore discussing any maintenance issues. And they proceed to claim that hybrids are not just for early adopters. They cite the taxi company doing tests and considering using them in their fleet. The operative word here is "considering." That actually sounds exactly like the early adopter phase to me. What would be a good and fair comparison would be to look at fuel savings and maintenance cost of hybrids against cars with similar weight, passenger room and performance.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 23 May 2005 05:03:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I've been told that the battery packs can cost 5K. Plus, you can guarantee that the government is going to start mandating a "disposal fee", just like they do on tires.
No thanks, I'll take a diesel over any other current engine.
Add pictures here
✖