Timing chain service recommendations for 6 cyl inline engines

There seems to be quite a bit of concern with timing chains on the V8 engines but very little on the in line sixes. I am curiuous what the recommendations are for renewal of the timing chains
and associated components on the 190E 2.6 and the SL320.
Peter
I believe the chain on the 2.6 engine is quite short, and possibly less stressed (if that makes sense!) and as a result it tends to last longer than the V8 timing-chain.
I have a 260E, with the 2.6-litre six cylinder engine, and the chain in that has never been changed and it has covered 162,000 miles. When it was checked, the chain exhibited hardly any wear at all. It's a duplex chain, but I seem to remember that that some early sixes were fitted with a simplex, single-row chain, and these are more prone to failure and should be changed for the duplex type.
I don't see any need to change the chain on the 260E, but I changed my 500SE V8 chain at 120,000 miles, and it was worn enough to ratlle on start-up, even though the car had been serviced by a main dealer since new, with correct lubrication, etc.
Al Bolton, G4VSQ 1990 500SE 1988 260E FOR SALE

Peter W Peternouschek wrote:

I had a 190E 2,6 earlier and had some 350.000 miles with it without any chain changes.
Inline 6 cylinder engines are not very prone to hazards with it.
Reg: Harri
On 2005-02-07 14:24:30 -0800, "Harri Markkula"

WOW! You sure you didn't replace the engine somewhere in there.... :~)
Martin Joseph wrote:

Yes. Quite positive ;-)
Number 1 cylinder bearing was the first part to break. Actually it had over 500.000 kilometers and 350k miles was an estimate of that.
Reg: Harri
The chains really last, 230 TE -90 540 000 km, valve cover never opened. No rattles, no tappings, still runs perfect. -89 was the first year this engine had no top problems and -91 it was discontinued :-(
Leif