V series question

Hi all I am considering buying a V series mercedes and cannot find out much independant information on them regarding reliability, fuel consumption etc. can anybody suggest any suitable web sites, I am in the UK

thank in advance

david

Reply to
david

I have heard that they are really unreliable (from a MB mechanic). They rank with M and C class as the poor reliablity end of the Mercedes range. Try and buy a Which report or JD Powers report before you buy.

Reply to
Ric

It is generally regarded as being pretty poor all round. The only reason to by a V is that it is the largest "car" you can buy in the UK - basically because its a van.

Consider instead a Renault Espace - much much better.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

Renault make all round better cars than Mercedes at the moment. If they copied Toyota and invented a luxury brandname like Lexus, they could really stuff Mercedes. If you look at independent studies into safety (eg NCAP), Which, JDPowers, Renault are really leaping up the rankings and are already ahead of MB in lots of segments. As you say, in people-carrier-class they are streets ahead

Reply to
Ric

I wouldn't say that Renault are better than Mercedes per-se.

They did try with the Renaul Vel Satis to create a E-class rival:

But from what people are saying about it, it has missed the mark, aside from badge snobbery, the drive and ride quality are no match for E-class.

I guess it is in the similar vein to the Pugeot 607 - French execs don't seem to be taken very seriously outside of France.

Both of these cars suffer mega depreciation - you could easily pick on up after three years at a third of their original cost, so actually a pretty sound secondhand buy.

But Mercedes seems to be having trouble with its non-traditional products.

The A-class is outclassed by the Audi A2 The V-class i outclassed by the Renault Espace The "Viano" is outclassed by the Vauxhall/Opel Zafira (and now the VW Touran) The M Class is outclassed by the BMW X5 The SLK is outclassed by the Porsche Boxter The CLK cab is outclassed by the Audi A4 cab

etc. etc. The only cars that really hold their own are the C, E, S and SL.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

New A-Class in the near future, August 2004. A2 sells very slow so no successor.

Brand-new V-Class is much better than the old one

No, Viano is much bigger, even bigger than VW Sharan et al. - competitor is new VW T5

New model February 2005.

New model _very_ soon, April 2004.

Yes, A4 cab is better value for money.

I really do not defend the lacking quality of the MB model line caused by Schrempp and his amateur buddies not having the slightest clue what defines the brand Mercedes, but the models are not as bad as you describe them.

Disagree with the C - early face-lift at the end of February 2004 due to slow sales.

E-Class sometimees has a _huge_ amount of problems - but when it runs is is the best car in the upper middle-class.

S-Class new model in late 2005.

SL is a great car, but as everyone knows there will be a face-lift later with a F1-style nose - nice thing to know a brand-new 130.000 Euro car will look outdated soon... ==:-((

Juergen MB roadmap at

Juergen .

The problem with the A2 is that it is a radical looking car, but it isn't a thing of beauty.

It is more competant than the A-class.

Also I am worried about the new A-class - apparently it won't have this funky sandwich business. One of the break throughs of the A-class was interior space on par with S-class (well LWB A-class anyway), yet shorter than a Fiat Punto.

I thought this was only achieved by having all the bits under the floor.

I heard its still a van? We shall see.

Sorry, I meant "Vaneo" (getting confused here!)

Quite a long way off. BMW will have X3 by then, and who knows what they will have cunjured up for the X5

We shall see!

They are not "bad", but it is a competative market and quite often there are better cars for the money.

True, the C is having a hard time fighting off the 3-series, but in the UK at least, a C is considered more exclusive than a 3-series. (partly because the BMW 3-series is Britians 7th (approx) best selling car. It even outsells the Ford Mondeo)

But it has always been this way. The 3 series is such an accoplished product that the C has always struggled in direct comparisons.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

I can sell you some bubonic plague to go with your V class if you like, or does yours come with some free?

1 word - avoid!
Reply to
miknik

thanks for all the advice, the family have already made the decision and unfortunately i do not like travelling alone. Looks like i keep the audi david

Reply to
david

Someone on the TV solved the MPV problem by buying an ex post-bus.

9 seats, 45mpg and only £3,000 with 35k miles.

So it doesn't have electric windows etc. but its damnned good value.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

Especially now that the CLK no longer has the 'stand-up' star on the bonnet you might as well drive another brand as the view out the front is the same.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Where do get the list of car sales by MODEL in the UK? All I could with Prof Google is by manufacturer.

Thanks. DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling