W124 Grille Removal

I hit a deer with my '91 300D 2.5 the other day, necessitating replacement of the grille. I have the new part on hand, but I can't figure out how to get the old grille off. (I Googled this
newsgroup's archives for tips before posting, but the only advice I found was somewhat less than helpful: "Go slow -- it's easy."
There are only two screws that I can see, located at the upper corners of the grille. But after removing them, the grille won't come off. Obviously there are other screws...but where? I felt around behind the top of the grille and didn't notice any.
(By the way, buymbparts.com rocks. I had the part precisely 24 hours after placing my order. Thanks for mentioning them in your .sig, Richard.)
Geoff
--
"You have enemies? Good! That means you've stood up
for something in your life." -- Winston Churchill
Geoff Miller wrote:

I've tried loosening the two screws as well, but it didn't work either. I'd be interested to learn how to do it. My Haynes manual doesn't mention it...
Ximinez
The Spanish Inquisition wrote:

Um, IIRC, there should be 2 more screws (in the middle?)
Regards, ws

8mm bolts through the bonnet into the grille, about 4 as I recall.
nick wrote:

I replaced the grill on my 300E 92 last week. There are 2 screws on upper left and right which releases 2 clips. There are also 2 clips on the lower left and right. Also there is Mercedes logo (small coin) that must be removed to release the grill. Good Luck. Adam

Yup; found 'em.
Now that I have the grille off, I'm transferring the star from the old grille to the new one. What I thought would be a simple matter of remove-and-replace has turned into quite a project.
In an earlier post Rockman59 wrote:

Tried that; no joy.
The spring is enclosed on two sides by an inner sheetmetal (partial) shroud and an outer, black-anodized one.
The inner shroud has small tabs on it on opposte sides about halfway down, which would seem to indicate that the piece is intended to be disengaged by rotating it.
Indeed, pushing on the tabs turns the piece and disengages a pair of metal "feet" from notches on the underside of the circular piece at the base of the star. But the assembly doesn't come loose; the star remains attached to the spring assembly through the radiator shell.
How is the star detached from the spring assembly? The only way to do this that I can see is to remove the spring's retaining pin, but I'm reluctant to do that because I don't see any easy way to reinstall it once that's been done.
Geoff
--
"Democrats constantly complain that the nation has never been so
divided, but consider that half of them think the statement that

That's it, use some visegrips/molegrips and pull the anodised part down (gently) and then twist it around so that it lines up with the hole in the top of the grille. allowing it's removal.